- Revit 2008,2009. May apply to other versions
How can I change an architectural column to a structural column?
- Select the column.
- Select “Edit Family” and open the family for editing.
- Select “Settings” on the top menu bar, then select “Family Categories and Parameters”
- A check box at the bottom that reads “Automatically joins geometry to walls” – Uncheck this box.
- You can then change the family category to structural from this same dialogue box.
- Reload the column into your project. All columns of that type upgrade to structural columns and “detach” themselves from the walls etc.