- AutoCAD 2000+
- Layer names in the “layer manager” are in a random order and are not sorted alphabetically.
- The OPEN dialog box does not sort the drawings in-order.
MAXSORT system variable determines how many file names, layer names, blocks, linetypes, and so on, are sorted alphabetically in AutoCAD dialog boxes. If the total number is greater than the number stored in this variable then the list is not sorted.
- Set MAXSORT system variable to a higher number. Remember: a high setting for MAXSORT will use more memory, ie sorting a large list will take more time.
- Use less layers or blocks.
- Organize drawings into multiple subdirectories.
Setting MAXSORT to 0 will list drawings in the order they were created.